Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
I know you want to be happy. I have not found anyone who doesn’t. But the irony is: many pursue happiness only to find it elusive. When it seems like they are close to getting it, then poof! It disappears from their gaze.
The key to a happy life is contentment- a state of being satisfied with what you have. It is only a grateful heart that can be contented. Those who need to compare themselves with others to be happy are on a wild goose chase. They will never be satisfied or happy. Doing so will only breed envy. And envy will make anyone miserable.
Many fear that being contented will breed apathy and mediocrity. I understand with you. I once feared as much until I gained understanding. Hopefully you too will.
The Bible advocates a very strong work ethics. It speaks clearly against laziness. For example, Proverbs 10:4 says the lazy person, the slothful person, will become poor. And in the parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:24-30), the servant who buried the one talent he was given was condemned because his discontentment infected him with a spirit of apathy. He became lazy and made no increase with his talent. However, the one with the two talent did not envy the first servant who was given more. He was contented but not complacent. He improved on what he was given and doubled his talents. In the end he was justly commended by his lord. This passage clearly illustrates the delicate tension between contentment and complacency.
Furthermore, though we are commanded to be contented, we are not to be contented with injustices. When others are being treated unfairly, we are not stand back and let it continue. We should employ our efforts and resources to help and better the lot of our fellow humans. To do otherwise is to be wicked.
The Sure Way
God wants you to be happy. He cares about you so much that He sent His only Son to die for your sins. And because He loved you, He gave you the Bible so that you can read and know His plan for your life. Jesus is the way- the sure way to happiness (John 14:6). Quit looking for happiness in drugs, sex, alcohol, money, etc. You will not find it there. You will find happiness only in Jesus.
I invite to surrender your life to Jesus by:
- Confessing your sins to Him. Tell Him that you have gone far away from Him.
- In your own words, invite Him, tell Him, you need Him. Ask Him to come into your life. Say: “Lord Jesus, I believe you died for me, was buried and resurrected on the third day. Come into my life and be my Lord and Savior. Amen.”
- Congratulations! Jesus has responded to your invitation. To know more about your new life, fellowship with a Bible-believing church.
- Send me a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d like to hear from you. Or, post your comments.
Don’t forget to subscribe to this blog. You will receive my free eBook “Become A Superachiever”.
- Contentment versus Laziness: http://www.discipleshipnetwork.com/contentment-versus-laziness/
- Contentment: https://www.gracegems.org/31/contentment.htm